Last Updated on July 1, 2022 by Cheryl Moreo
Instant Pot Cabbage and Smoked Sausage is a quick and easy one-pot meal. The Instant Pot infuses the cabbage and carrots with the flavors of the smoked sausage. Using shredded coleslaw speeds up and simplifies meal preparation. The carrots add both flavor and color.
This is a recipe for one of those days when you don’t have time to fuss with a complicated recipe. So here is how to make this meal.
Instant Pot Cabbage and Smoked Sausage Recipe
- Fully cooked smoked sausage. We prefer John Morrell. (John Morrell has a very interesting history. You should read their history.)You need to slice the sausage into coin shapes.
- Cabbage and carrot. I usually buy two packages of the shredded coleslaw. But, recently my store has not been stocking them. So, I buy a small to medium size cabbage and shred it along with one carrot. No time to shred the cabbage, cut it into 1″ chunks and shred a carrot.
- Butter. 3 tablespoons for sauteing the onion.
- Onion. I keep the frozen chopped onion on hand. I use 1/3 cup of them or a chopped fresh onion.
- Vegetable Stock. As you know, an Instant Pot or a pressure cooker needs, at least, one cup of liquid. I use a cup of vegetable stock. But, one could use water or beef or chicken stock. I prefer the flavor the vegetable stock imparts.
- Salt and Pepper for personal seasoning of the finished dish.
- Set your Instant Pot to saute. Place the sausage coins in the pot and brown them on both sides.
- Add the butter and onions to the sausage and saute the onions until the frozen onions are thawed or fresh onions are softer.
- Now, you can add your cabbage and carrot to the pot along with one cup of liquid.
- Turned off the saute function on your Instant Pot.
- Place the lid on the pot, ensure that the valve is in the “sealing” position, and lock the lid.
- Press the pressure cook button, pressure level high (the display should show More High,) and set time for 2 minutes.
- When cooking time is up, use the quick-release method.
Instant Pot Cabbage and Smoked Sausage
- 7 oz package of John Morrell Smoked Sausage or your favorite brand – sliced into coins
- 2 packages Dole Classic Coleslaw with green cabbage and shredded carrot or 1 small to medium-size cabbage shredded or cut into junks and 1 carrot shredded
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- ⅓ cup frozen chopped onions or fresh onion chopped
- 1 cup of vegetable stock or broth
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Set your Instant Pot to Saute, and saute the sausage until well browned.
- Add the butter and saute the onions until thawed and clear
- Now, add the cabbage and carrot.
- Stir in the cup of vegetable broth.
- Cancel the saute function.
- Place the lid on the pot, ensure that the valve is in the "sealing" position, and lock the lid.
- Press the pressure cook button, pressure level high (display should show More High,) and set time for 2 minutes.
- When cooking time is up, use the quick release method.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
- 9-IN-1 FUNCTIONALITY: Pressure cook, slow cook, rice cooker, yogurt maker, steamer, sauté pan, yogurt maker, sterilizer and food warmer.
- IMPROVED STRESS-FREE VENTING: Intuitive and simple, our improved easy-release steam switch makes releasing steam easier than ever, and it automatically resets when the lid is closed.
- REALTIME FEEDBACK: The easy-to-read display includes a full cooking progress bar lets you know what stage of the cooking program you’ve reached.
- QUICK ONE-TOUCH COOKING: 15 customizable Smart Programs for pressure cooking ribs, soups, beans, rice, poultry, yogurt, desserts and more.
- VERSATILE INNER COOKING POT: Food-grade stainless-steel cooking pot with a tri-ply bottom offers more even cooking and an anti-spin design that secures the pot for perfect sautéing.