Pasta e fagioli, meaning “pasta and beans”, is a traditional Italian soup. It is often called pasta fasul in the United States, derived from its Neapolitan name, pasta e fasule. Like many other Italian favorites, including pizza and polenta, it started as a peasant dish, being composed of inexpensive ingredients.Wikipedia
Pasta Fazool (Pasta e Fagioli) Lunch
This pasta fazool soup started as a quick lunch soup. Then, I remembered that I had leftover taco meat.
Because I added the taco meat, I switched my cheese to a Taco Blend.
I use a can of mixed vegetables, which usually has green beans and lima beans. If you want another bean variety, add your favorite can to the mix.
If you don’t choose to use taco meat in your soup, I recommend an Italian Blend of cheese or Parmesan topping.
The Pasta Fazool Recipe
Pasta Fazool (Pasta e Fagioli) with Taco Meat or Not
- Can of mixed vegetables drained
- 1/2 cup of Creamette Ready Cut Spaghetti or other small pasta
- Can of Hunt’s Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes 14.5 oz
- Vegetable or chicken broth or stock-maybe 1/2 cup-Just used to keep pasta covered with liquid.
- 1 cup of prepared taco meat or sausage
- A small amount of either Mexican Taco, or Italian Blend shredded cheese for topping.
- Cook pasta according to box directions. 1/2 cup of dry pasta is ample for this pot of soup. Set aside
- Heat tomatoes and vegetables in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until boiling.
- If using meat, add the prepared meat now and blend.
- Add the pasta and stir the soup until well blended.
- If needed, add the broth/stock to the mixture to ensure that the pasta is covered and simmer for a few minutes.
- Serve with shredded cheese on top.
More Soup Recipes
""As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases."