Last Updated on July 1, 2022 by Cheryl Moreo
This sausage soup with peppers and spinach falls into my category of comfort food. In less than an hour, you can have a satisfying keto-friendly meal that delivers lots of fantastic flavors.
How to Make Sausage Soup
- Brown your Italian sausage.
- Now, add the peppers and seasonings and simmer.
- Then, add the broth and spinach. Simmer until the spinach wilts.
- Finally, top with cheese and serve.
Variations of This Sausage Soup Recipe
Maybe you are pantry cooking and don’t have any fresh ingredients.
Instead of the fresh peppers, use frozen ones and add a can of diced tomatoes with green chilies.
Yes, you can use frozen spinach.
Any sausage will not disappoint.
Yes, you can use your Instant Pot for this recipe. Just use the saute function for browning the sausage. Then, add all of the ingredients except the cheese. Now, set your Instant Pot to the Soup setting. After cooking is complete, allow about 10 minutes for natural release and then serve. Finally, top with the cheese.
Slow cooking is also an option. First, brown your sausage in a skillet. Next, place everything except for the cheese into your slow cooker and cook for six hours on the low setting. Finally, top with cheese and serve.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Sausage Soup with Peppers and Spinach
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb ground Johnsonville Sweet Italian Sausage
- 1 medium red pepper diced
- ½ medium Poblano pepper diced
- 3 each celery stalks diced
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 6 cups organic sugar-free chicken stock
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup Cheddar Jack cheese shredded
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sausage is no longer pink inside, approximately 5 minutes. As the sausage cooks, break it into small pieces with a wooden spoon.
- Add the red and Poblano pepper, celery, basil, oregano, rosemary, chili powder, cumin, and cinnamon to the pot. Generously season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies have softened, around 5-6 minutes.
- Now, add the chicken stock and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the spinach and cook for another 4-5 minutes, or just until the spinach wilts.
- Finally, remove from heat and serve immediately, topped with shredded Cheddar Jack cheese and some additional diced Poblano pepper, if desired. Enjoy!
Fiber: 1.3 g.
Net carbs: 2.6 g *Source: VeryWell.com Recipe Analyzer
Other Keto-Friendly Recipes
Get My Free Keto-Friendly Lifestyle Checklist
This checklist is an 8-page booklet covering all the Ketogenic diets. It has daily guidelines of what foods to eat, explains the keto way of eating, and more. I feel this way of eating is a lifestyle and not a “diet.” Get yours today.